The ‘Knowing Me – Knowing You’ resource offers a tried and tested approach which supports teachers and children to explore the following themes:
- Working independently as well as in small and large groups
- Communication and co-operation with people we already know and people we have newly met
- Understand what “Community Relations” is and why it’s important
- Identity on personal, community and national levels
- Feelings and emotions
- Understand what conflict is and how to manage it
- Culture and Diversity
- Symbols and flags
- Self determination
- Reflective Learning.
It is designed for schools to deliver as a project in partnership with another school (utilising the “Buddy Up!” approach) but can also be delivered as a stand alone programme in a single school setting. It is ideally suited for pupils in Years 6 and 7, is curriculum linked and is also available in a Year 8 format. This resource has been leveraged to deliver the “Knowing Me – Knowing You” Programme in hundreds of school settings across Northern Ireland by both CRIS and School Staff. It is highly regarded by educationalists, community relations practitioners and pupils.
The resource is comprised of a Teacher Guide and accompanying pupil workbook. To view samples of the resource and its place within the Northern Ireland curriculum please click on the links below. Alternatively, to order a full copy of the resource or to discuss how your school community might utilise it, please contact the CRIS office on the contact details provided.