CRIS has managed and facilitated meaningful inter-community family peace-building programmes through five schools in the Cookstown area over the last five years with support from CRC, DFA, IFI and OFMDFM funds. During this period approximately 120 families have been engaged in intensive community building residential programmes. This has resulted in a feeling of hope and future-investment amongst families in the area. The result has been the creation of a unique cross-community family group called ‘Cookstown Community Relations Association of Families Together (CRAFT)’.
The constituted group is managed by a board of previous CRIS programme participants who are eager to provide continued and sustained opportunities for inter-community activity for children and adults. They are currently providing activities and workshops for 80/100 people on a regular basis.
Recent CRAFT Activities:
- Easter Family Fun Day at Drum Manor
- Children’s arts and crafts/ play programme at Cookstown Leisure Centre
- Completion of OCN Level 2 – Participation and Community Relations: This was undertaken by 8 adult members of the CRAFT group and delivered by CRIS. This included a two day residential.
- Community fundraising initiatives (cake sale, pub quiz and fund writing)
- Coffee mornings, shared meals and other get “togethers” for adults
- AGM and regular committee meetings